ລິ້ງ ສຳຫລັບເຂົ້າຫາ

Southern African Leaders Calls for Speedy Release of Zimbabwe Election Results


ZIMBABWE: Southern African leaders have called for election officials in Zimbabwe to "expeditiously" release the results of last month's general elections. Regional leaders made the call today (Sunday) following the Southern African Development Community emergency summit in Lusaka, Zambia which ended overnight after 13 hours of marathon talks. Also Sunday, the state-run "Sunday Mail" reported that Zimbabwe's election commission has ordered a recount of last month's general elections in 23 disputed voting districts.

KENYA: Kenyan officials say President Mwai Kibaki will announce a new coalition Cabinet today (Sunday). The Kenyan presidential press service says Mr. Kibaki and opposition leader Raila Odinga made a "breakthrough" in day-long talks on Saturday, reaching an agreement on the make-up of the Cabinet. The closed-door talks took place Saturday outside the capital, Nairobi.

IRAN BLAST: Iranian officials say a deadly explosion Saturday in a crowded mosque could have been an accident and not an attack. A police official told Iranian state media today (Sunday) that the explosives could have been left on the roof of the mosque from an earlier exhibition commemorating the (1980 through 1988) Iran-Iraq War. Officials say the death toll in the blast has risen to 11 in southern Fars province, with another 191 people wounded - some seriously.

NEPAL ELECTIONS: Nepal's former Maoist rebels have picked up more seats today (Sunday) as vote counting continues in landmark elections to select members of a 601-seat Constituent Assembly, charged with rewriting the constitution. Election officials say the Maoists have won at least 42 of the 76 seats in constituencies where results have been declared, and are leading by a similar proportion in other constituencies where counting is continuing. A complete vote count from all 240 constituencies from Thursday's elections is expected to take several weeks.

CHINA MINE: China says an explosion in a coal mine Saturday killed 14 people and injured two, with another two miners missing. The official Xinhua news agency said today (Sunday) that rescuers are searching for the missing miners at the Number Three Coal Mine near Shagutun Village in the northeast district of Nanpiao. Xinhua said authorities in Huludao city have asked 77 other mines in the area to halt production for safety checks.

Audio in Lao.

XS
SM
MD
LG