ລິ້ງ ສຳຫລັບເຂົ້າຫາ

Laos Today: Socio-Economic Development Imbalance in Laos Results in More Poverty in Rural Areas


Overall, the economic development in Laos in the past 30 years has shown good results, with per capita income rising from $80 in 1976 to about $500 in 2006.

However, the wealth is concentrated in the hands of roughly 20% of the population who lives in urban areas, whereas the other 80% who lives in the rural areas falls deeper and deeper into poverty, resulting in discord within families, alienation between husbands and wives, and increased domestic violence.

The socio-economic development imbalance has likewise affected the psychological state of Lao children.

Listen to our Laos Today report for more details.

XS
SM
MD
LG